Binghamton Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Crossing the street and walking along the side of the road can be dangerous in Binghamton. This is especially true in areas such as the busy Main Street corridor. According to news reports, vehicles on Main Street struck more than 50 bicyclists and pedestrians over a recent five-year period. Pedestrian accidents also frequently occur in the areas surrounding Binghamton University or around elementary, middle and high schools, where students can often be encountered as they walk to school.
After a pedestrian accident, you should seek emergency medical attention right away. Next, call Scott C. Gottlieb, Injury Law Attorney. We know how to deal with investigators, claims adjusters and attorney representing insurance companies. They are paid to minimize the company’s payout on claims. We know the maximum amount allowed by law for a pedestrian accident claim. Our goal will be to get that amount for you.
Causes of Pedestrian Accidents in Binghamton
Pedestrians can get injured in and around Binghamton, for many different reasons. One of the most common reasons is the failure of car, truck and other motor vehicle drivers to recognize or respect when pedestrians have the right of way. For instance:
- When a pedestrian crosses the street in a marked or unmarked crosswalk, with a “walk” signal or green light, the pedestrian has the right of way.
- When a driver pulls out from a private road, driveway, parking lot or alley, the driver must yield to any pedestrians.
Additionally, New York law requires motor vehicle drivers to exercise “due care” in order to avoid hitting pedestrians. They must use their horn, when necessary, in order to avoid a collision with a pedestrian.
Many pedestrian accidents happen in Binghamton because vehicle drivers simply fail to see pedestrians in time, in order to avoid a collision. The underlying reason for a driver’s failure to see a pedestrian could include:
- Drunk driving. Drunk drivers claim tens of thousands of lives throughout the country each year, and in our region, impaired drivers are often found driving the wrong way on the road, ignoring red lights, and blowing through stop signs. When this happens in areas with a lot of pedestrians, the outcome can be disastrous.
- Distracted driving. Texting is not the only form of distraction that can cause pedestrian accidents. People also become distracted by conversations with passengers, putting on makeup, eating, reading directions, messing with vehicle controls or just about anything else that takes their minds, eyes or attention away from the road. Looking down for just a second or two in a crosswalk can take the life of a pedestrian.
- Bad weather. Binghamton experiences harsh winter weather, including ice and heavy snow. When people drive too fast for the conditions or fail to keep their vehicles in safe operating condition, they put everyone on or near the road in danger.
If you are injured by a negligent driver, attorney Scott C. Gottlieb will fight to protect your rights and help you to pursue the compensation that you deserve.
Proving Fault in Pedestrian Accident Cases
Proving fault in a pedestrian accident can be challenging. However, an experienced pedestrian accident attorney like Scott C. Gottlieb will know how to gather the necessary evidence to establish your case. Evidence which can help to prove your case can include:
- Police crash report
- 911 call recording
- Police dash or body cams
- Surveillance videos / traffic cameras
- Sworn witness statements
- Electronic crash data from the vehicle
- Vehicle damages
- Photos of the scene
- Driver cell phone records
- Chemical test results
- Skid marks and nearby property damage.
In some pedestrian accident cases, we may consult with experts in areas such as traffic safety or accident reconstruction. An expert can help us to determine why a collision occurred. The expert may also prepare a report and, if necessary, testify at trial.
Pursuing Compensation for Damages After a Car Accident
A pedestrian can suffer life-altering injuries in a collision with a motor vehicle. Many pedestrians suffer traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury, fractures, disfigurement and scarring. They also may suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) due to the horrifying nature of being struck by a motor vehicle.
If someone else’s negligence causes you to suffer injuries in a pedestrian accident in Binghamton, you may be eligible to recover compensation that includes:
- Costs of medical care and treatment
- Lost wages
- Other accident-related financial losses
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Dealing with an insurance company after you have been involved in a pedestrian accident is daunting. Unless you are practiced in dealing with insurance adjusters, agents and policy terminology, you will be better off leaving these matters in the hands of an experienced pedestrian accident lawyer. Meanwhile, you can focus on your physical recovery.
If your loved one died in a pedestrian accident that a driver caused, you may be eligible to pursue wrongful death compensation, including:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of financial support
- Loss of services, support and consortium.
Attorney Scott C. Gottlieb will know how to investigate your case, calculate your damages, deal with insurance companies and, if necessary, take your case to trial. He knows the important role that compensation can play in the lives of pedestrian accident victims and their loved ones as they move forward.
Contact an Experienced Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Binghamton
Don’t take chances or try to “go it alone” after a pedestrian accident in Binghamton. Instead, get in touch with Scott C. Gottlieb, Injury Law Attorney, as soon as possible. He will review your case and answer your questions in a free consultation. He can get started on seeking compensation for you right away.
Our law firm never charges any costs or legal fees unless we recover money for our clients. So, you can be assured that we will work tirelessly to pursue the compensation that you deserve. Don’t delay. Contact us today to learn more about how Scott C. Gottlieb, Injury Law Attorney, can help you.