ATV Accident Lawyer
ATV Accident Statistics in New York & Nationwide
New York is an ideal location for riding all-terrain vehicles (ATVs). Unfortunately, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), it is also one of the top 10 states for ATV fatalities.
Nationwide, ATV accidents caused an estimated 426 deaths and 99,600 injuries in 2013, the most recent year for which statistics are available. Sadly, 23 percent (3,023) of the 13,043 ATV fatalities reported to CPSC from 1982 through 2013 were children under the age of 16, and 43 percent of those children who died were under the age of 12.
About Our ATV Accident Attorney
If you or your loved one has been injured in an ATV accident, Scott C. Gottlieb, Injury Law Attorney, can help. Our law firm has handled all types of personal injury cases and with a history of success. Read about our recent victories to learn more about the successful results we have obtained for our clients.
Scott Gottlieb has more than 30 years of experience as a Binghamton personal injury attorney, and a Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Rating. He enjoys the challenge of going up against huge insurance companies to help his clients obtain the compensation they need and deserve under the law.
Causes of ATV Accidents
- Instability of ATVs – According to the Mayo Clinic, ATVs are inherently unstable. They are constructed with a chassis, four wheels, and a high center of gravity. Driver body movement and balance are important aspects of the handling of these vehicles, and most children do not have the strength or control required. Passengers riding in the back can be thrown off of ATVs.
- Rollover Accidents – Rollovers cause most ATV injuries, and they are more likely to tip or roll over when carrying passengers. ATVs are designed to be driven on rough terrain as opposed to paved roads, and they are likely to flip over on the pavement when riders are crossing roadways, according to the Mayo Clinic.
- Drinking and Driving – Alcohol is a common contributing factor to ATV accidents, affecting 35 percent of ATV accident patients involved in a study discussed by the Mayo Clinic.
- ATV Defects – Vehicle defects also cause ATV accidents, injuries, and deaths, as illustrated by a Consumer Affairs report on 46 fatal accidents involving Yamaha Rhino ATVs. ATVSafety.gov displays a lengthy list of recalls of thousands of ATVs with brand names from Arctic Cat to Suzuki to Yamaha. Contact our ATV accident attorney today if you’ve been injured.
Contact Our Binghamton ATV Accident Lawyers
If you or your loved one has been injured, or if you have lost a loved one in an ATV accident caused by vehicle failure or someone else’s negligence, your best course of action is to consult with a knowledgeable Binghamton motor vehicle accident attorney and wrongful death lawyer.
You may be entitled to file a claim for compensation for your injuries. Damages you may be entitled to include medical expenses, lost wages, physical therapy, pain and suffering, and property damage. If you have lost a loved one in a tragic ATV fatality, you may be entitled to file a wrongful death claim.
As a skilled and experienced New York personal injury lawyer, Scott C. Gottlieb takes pride in helping accident victims pursue compensation, and he has recovered tens of millions of dollars in damages for our clients. Our firm is committed to helping injured people seek justice. Contact us for a free initial consultation about your potential legal rights.
- CPSC: 2013 Annual Report of ATV-Related Deaths and Injuries
- Mayo Clinic: ATVs too much for kids to handle
- Consumer Affairs: Yamaha Halts Sales of Rhino ATVs Pending Repairs