5 Important Changes To NY Gun Ammo Laws
Some of the most significant aspects of the NY SAFE ACT involve the laws that govern gun magazines and ammunition clips.
One of the biggest changes: Starting on April 15, only magazines that contain 7 rounds or fewer are legal in New York. The old law allowed magazines of up to 10 rounds.
Other provisions of the New York Secure Ammunition and Firearms Enforcement Act of 2013 apply to background checks, gun sales and criminal penalties for violations of the Act.
The NY SAFE ACT is complex and far-reaching. Some provisions go into effect immediately, while others will not be implemented until later.
Do you have a question about your legal rights under the NY SAFE Act? Rochester Injury Law attorney Scott C. Gottlieb has set up a free and confidential NY SAFE Act legal info line to help New York State residents sort through the complicated provisions of the law.
Call 607-304-4121 or use this online contact form to get your NY SAFE Act questions answered today.
Following are 5 important provisions in the NY SAFE Act that relate to gun magazines and ammo clips:
- Seven rounds or fewer. Since 1994, it has been illegal in New York State to buy a detachable magazine that can contain more than 10 rounds. Starting April 15, 2013, only magazines that contain seven rounds or fewer can be bought or sold.
- Modifying a magazine. Gun magazines can be permanently modified to conform to the new law.
- Selling a modified magazine. Both dealers and individuals can sell a modified magazine.
- Exception for antique guns. Historic or antique guns and magazines are exempt from the prohibition against transfer, but if the gun qualifies as an assault weapon it must be registered.
- What qualifies as an antique? Any magazine or gun manufactured more than 50 years ago.
Or if you would like to speak to an experienced and qualified New York State attorney – at no charge and in strict confidence – contact Scott C. Gottlieb. Call 607-304-4121 or use this online form.
For more information:
- Governor Cuomo press release http://www.governor.ny.gov/press/01152013-outline-of-nys-groundbreaking-gun-legislation
- NY SAFE Act of 2013 website http://www.governor.ny.gov/2013/gun-reforms
- NY SAFE Act FAQs http://www.governor.ny.gov/2013/gun-reforms-faq