National Safety Council Calls Attention to Unintentional Injuries and Death
The month of June is the focus of the National Safety Council (NSC)’s National Safety Month with its mission drawing attention to the prevention of unintentional injuries and death. Each week will have a different safety issue awareness campaign.
By focusing on the education and awareness of adopting and maintaining safe and healthy practices, the NSC can help make June and the rest of the summer injury free. Our injury attorneys in Binghamton encourage all New Yorkers to be aware of dangers that can arise in their everyday lives.
Safety awareness and injury prevention practices are important not only on our roads and highways, but also in the workplace, in our homes, and around our communities. Unintentional deaths and injuries from motor vehicle accidents, falls and overexertion remain the leading causes of preventable death and injury.
In 2009, the NSC reports that over 128,000 people died from unintentional deaths – the highest numbers in history. This number is a slight increase from the 2008 estimate of 125,800. 1992 had the lowest number on record with almost half the 2009 total with 86,777 – the lowest annual total since 1924.
Following are the highlights of the focus for the week for preventable injury and death accidents:
- Week 1: June 1 – 4, Summertime Safety – Injuries from skateboarding, bicycling and even running and walking outdoors are higher in the summer.
- Week 2: June 5 – 11, Preventing Overexertion – Pay special care to not overstrain from strenuous exercise or outdoor activities during the month and throughout the summer.
- Week 3: June 12 – 18, Teen Driving Safety – Adults and parents must help teens learn to drive safely and be aware of roadway dangers to prevent them from becoming accident victims or from causing injury or death.
- Week 4: June 19 – 25, Preventing Slips, Trips, and Falls – Making homes and sidewalks safe can help prevent falls that lead to injuries and loss of independence among our older family members. Helping older adults maneuver dangerous walkways can also keep them safe.
- Week 5: June 26 – 30, On the Road, Off the Phone – The last week in June focuses on encouraging drivers to stay off their cell phones while driving to help stay alert of roadway dangers and to prevent accident injuries and deaths.
The injury attorneys at Scott C. Gottlieb, Injury Law Attorney, encourage all New Yorkers to be careful during the hot weather. Maintaining awareness of one’s surroundings and other drivers, bikers, and vacationers can help everyone enjoy the nice weather.
Contact Our Binghamton Injury Law Attorneys Today
Experience counts. If you or a loved one has suffered injuries due to another person’s carelessness or negligence, contact Scott C. Gottlieb, Injury Law Attorney, to help. Our New York personal injury law office handles all types of accident, injury and medical malpractice cases.
As you work on recovering from your injuries, let our Binghamton, New York accident attorney’s office take care of the rest, including the paperwork, insurance documents and other legal issues related to your accident. Contact our personal injury attorney today at (607) 235-2754 or use our online contact form. There is no charge for the consultation.