School Bus Smashes Into Semi on Long Island
Several children were injured February 25 when a school bus collided with a tractor-trailer on Long Island.
The driver of the truck was also injured in the accident, which occurred at the intersection of Grove Avenue and Carmen Street in East Patchogue at around 3:30 p.m. None of the injuries were life-threatening, according to news reports.
The bus belonged to the Educational Bus Transportation Company. It wasn’t immediately clear what school the bus was coming from. Suffolk County Police are continuing to investigate the incident.
There were 1,236 fatal school motor vehicle crashes in the U.S. from 2001 to 2010, resulting in 1,368 deaths.
These numbers are from the report “School Transportation-Related Crashes,” compiled by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). A school transportation-related crash is defined as one “which involves, either directly or indirectly, a school bus body vehicle, or a non-school bus functioning as a school bus, transporting children to or from school or school-related activities.”
Here are some other statistics from the NHTSA report:
- The 1,236 fatal school transportation-related crashes accounted for 0.34 percent of the total 363,839 fatal motor vehicle traffic crashes nationwide.
- The total of 1,368 deaths averages out to 137 fatalities per year.
- The majority (72 percent) of those killed were occupants of other vehicles, not the bus.
- Occupants of school transportation vehicles accounted for 7 percent of the fatalities, while the remaining 21 percent were non-occupants — pedestrians, bicyclists, etc.
According to NHTSA, an average of 18 school-age children die in school transportation-related crashes each year. On average, six of those are occupants of school transportation vehicles. The other 12 are pedestrians killed by school transportation vehicles or other vehicles.
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811618.pdf
- NBC New York Channel 4 http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/School-Bus-Collides-Tractor-Trailer-Children-Minor-Injuries-East-Patchogue-Long-Island-193123281.html