South Carolina Mother Files Lawsuit Over Fire That Killed Her Son
SCnow.com reports a Lamar, South Carolina mother has filed a lawsuit against several parties, including her landlord and an electric company, over her 11-year-old’s death in a fire two years ago when the family lived in a manufactured home.
The lawsuit claims the home was “sloppily, recklessly and dangerously electrically wired and uninhabitable” as the suit cites several electrical wiring errors. The lawsuit also claims gross negligence, negligent infliction of emotional distress and wrongful death. Knowledge of the electrical problems and the “defendants’ failure to exercise reasonable care and comply with the law” led to the child’s untimely death.
A fire investigator has testified the fire was a result of faulty wiring in the home’s stove.
The lawsuit alleges the landlord was aware of the electrical hazards and of other recurrent electrical problems at the home, and Carolina Power and Light Company had been given notice and also knew of the problems.
No evidence of a smoke alarm was found in the burned out home. Not having a smoke alarm in a home being rented by a tenant is a violation of South Carolina law.
The young boy and his dog were inside the rented home when it was engulfed in flames. They died of smoke inhalation. His two sisters, ages 7 and 9, were rescued by two men who happened to pass by the home at the time of the fire.
Wrongful death cases are always emotional. You should not release anyone from liability without first knowing all of your legal rights and what redress is available to you and your family. The Rochester, New York Law Offices of Scott C. Gottlieb and Associates, LLP, has vast experience in wrongful death law suits. If you feel you or a loved one has suffered due to wrongful death, call our 24- hour answering service at (607) 724-7700 or contact us via our online contact form. There are no case-review costs.