New York Injury Law Blog

Suit Filed Against Toyota in Carbon Monoxide Death

The keyless ignition system in a Lexus is being blamed for the carbon monoxide poisoning death of a 79-year-old Queens’ attorney reports the NY Daily News.

In February, 2009, the attorney’s companion parked her car in the garage which was attached to the home they shared and accidentally left the engine running.  The next day she was found unconscious on the bedroom floor and her partner was dead from carbon monoxide poisoning.  She survived, but is unable to walk and has difficulty speaking.

The lawsuit against Toyota cites the auto manufacturer for failing to install a “shutdown” switch in the cars – which can be turned on or off at the touch of a button.  The switch would turn off the engine when the car is unoccupied or not touched for a certain amount of time.

The keyless ignition is a nifty feature, but it can be deadly when the engine continues to run even after the driver leaves the vehicle with the key fob which communicates with the car’s computer.  Since the engine runs so quietly, the woman may not have noticed it was still running when she left the garage.

An investigation is still underway in Palm Beach County as to whether or not the August carbon-monoxide death of a 29-year-old woman was also caused by a Lexus left running in her garage.

The New York offices of Scott C. Gottlieb have vast experience dealing with wrongful death cases, including those caused by a faulty product or product design.  If you feel that a loved one has suffered due to wrongful death, call our firm at 800-825-5529 or visit our web site.  There is no case-review cost.

Wrongful Death

Attorney Advertising © 2017, Scott C. Gottlieb. All rights reserved.
Site by Consultwebs.com: Law Firm Website Designers / Personal Injury Lawyer Marketing